Options for better in game direction for first time players
We see it in game all the time and it happened again last night. New players who just download the game, have a very hard time getting to Sagres or understanding the basics. New players are lost just trying to get started and most do not know about the in game Sailors Guide. (And if it is like mine, it does not always have the information I need).
If someone is does not talk to them or is not recruiting for a company an catches them early, many get fed up and quit after a couple hours. If the game tells them to talk to all the NPCs, and the requirements to trigger the Sagres message, it is getting lost in all the newness. The new players rarely know that doing a quest or 2, helps make the directions for Sagres will appear.
Most of us who go back multiple servers, remember how long but useful the old school system. And I know it cannot be put back and that is not my suggestion. The complaint then was it was too very long and drove people off.
There can be a compromise or a fix to the current situation. If new players had an NPC to talked to them. That NPC could tell them initially what to do to navigate the game. And I know they get some of the following steps now but not all of them. Most importantly have that NPC would tell them:
- Tell them to talk to Ship Yard
- Then the market, craftsman, tavern and bank
- Then before they leave town, talk to the Company Admin. If they join a company, other players can help them and like last night, save a frustrated player from quitting.
- Then explain where to get skills and vigor.
- Then the difference between Guild Master and the Mediators.
- Then explain they need to complete quest to raise their fame to enter the school in Sagres.
- By the way, an explanation how the Liner works would be useful... (I have played the game for years and never have used one).
Here are 3 options for that NPC guide (I will start with the one I like best) but #3 maybe the most practical:
- Have the NPC direct them to the school, every time they enter the major city, until they go to Sagres. Once at the school, Then the secretary at the school could tell them, just these things in a message window menu. The new player could pick the topic from the menu or skip it, if they wanted to. It they pick the topic, it sends them to the Sailor Guide tutorial.
- NPC could appear every time they entered a building or a port (like a story line (or Event History), until they get to Sagres. Make getting to Sagres a "event" so they can see what they did and what the next step is, if they get side tracked. The NPC could either give them information, one step at a time.
- NPC could appear every time they entered a port and tell them how to get to the Sailor's Guide and what still needs to be done to be sent to the Famous School in Sagres.
Something has to be done because, we cannot afford to have new players quit, after a hour or 2.
The game is desperate for new players. Look at what happened to the companies on the update today. 1 company in Amsterdam has 50/50 membership. Only 3 have 45/50 membership for more. New players are quitting before they even get to Sagres.
IG Nationality: Dutch
IG Nationality: Dutch