A Player Created UWO Stock Exchange...Concept
I'm considering creating a UWO stock exchange for the game I believe this will add a brand new element to the game and drive wealth as well as activity in game. This game with the addition of stock trading can add a new level of fun for players and give this game something bo other game has. I'm trying to get as much feedback as possible before doing this to see what you guys think or any concerns so I can iron out the details.
UWO Stock Exchange Concept:
A well known company like Garuda for instance offers shares of its company for players to purchase say 10 million shares (with 10 million privately owned by directors deputies and comp members), players can then purchase those shares from a broker for say 10,000 Ducats a share. If a player purchased say 10,000 shares its worth 100 million ducats. These shares can rise in value as time progresses so lets say the share proce rises to 20k a share your stock is now worth 200 million and you literally had to do nothing. This doesnt have to be limited to just companies and extend to individual players businesses like Caddy' Shipbuilding business or Crzy's Auction Business or Tsavo's Ship part business.
Why should a company want its stocks traded:
1. As more people invest in your company your company stock rises in value and your stake can then be sold for cash. If Director holds 2 million shares at 20k a share thats worth 40 Billion ducats. This also determines how healthy your company is.
2. Your company members can now be given stock in the company as an incentive that can increase their worth as well that they can sell for cash as well.
3. Raises notoriety and more people will want shares of the company thus making even more money.
4. Can offer dividends to stockholders to further increase stock price through incentive.
5. Companies can do stock buy backs of its own stock and sell back to the market.
6. A small amount of every share bought or sold per day can be put aside for the company as income. For instance lets say company revenue is 1 ducat per share. A player sells 50k shares another buys those 50k shares thats 100k that is given to the company. So if trade volume is 100 million for a single day and the company earns 1 ducat each share thats 30 billion in income per month for the director and deputies. This of course increases a company net worth to show the company is healthy and thus worthy of higher share prices. Healthier companies mean higher share prices
Advantages for the game:
1. Stocks can be used as currency to exceed the 20 billion dollar cap of money on person. For instance a ship selling for 30 billion can be sold for 20 billion and 10 billion worth of stock. No need to risk multiple trades.
2. Opens up a few new professions that players can now do such as stock trader who buys stocks when they are low and sells when price is high. Also a stock brokers that can take orders for stocks to be filled. Exchanges who actually transfer stocks.
3. Will give the game something I dont think any other game offers in terms of trade especially with actually having company stocks and in game day trading.
4. Even new companies can participate as (penny stocks)
And can still be very lucrative for them and its members and even offer players with very low money the ability trade/ invest to be able to participate since they're so cheap. Even someone with 50k ducats can make millions trading company stocks.
5. Would greatly increase wealth among players and give incentive to play harder to raise money.
6. This would encourage different types of companies to be active. For example You can invest in Pirate companies to plunder people and sell the goods as their stock rises they can then get more people to plunder players and make more $ as they make cash stock prices go up. Also the inverse bounty hunter companies can be invested in to put more bounty hunters at sea to protect sea. This would cause pirates and BH's to not just simply fight at sea but also fight for majority control. More pirates sunk higher BH company stock more traders plunder higher Pirate company stock....
How would it work:
Companies are assessed by The Stock Exchange to determine value and potential for growth. Price is set for stock as well as number of shares that will be offered. The players then place their stock orders with the player and stocks are traded via the broker. The prices and sales are recorded via an online excel spreadsheet and everyone is given the link to see current stock price and any changes as well as company info like number of members, avg volume, avg level of players in company.
What do you guys think do you think? Any ideas, suggestions, concerns and problems?